Irregular periods, medically known as oligomenorrhea, refers to infrequent periods with intervals of more than 35 days. A normal menstrual cycle ranges from 21 to 35 days. Women normally have 11-13 periods in a year, but the ones who suffer from oligomenorrhea have fewer than 6-7 periods.
Many factors can cause this problem like significant weight loss or gain, eating disorders, anaemia, thyroid disorders, menopause, liver disease, hormonal imbalance, diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, polycystic ovarian syndrome and uterine abnormalities. Lifestyle triggers such as increased exercise, alcohol abuse, smoking, and stress also contribute to this problem.
Periods can be irregular during the first few years after menstruation starts and also when one is approaching menopause. Different women have different menstrual patterns. Slight irregularities once in a while should not be a cause for concern but if this persists for a longer duration, you want to try some natural remedies to rectify this problem.
Here are the 5 home remedies listed below:
- Green, unripe papaya works as a potent emmenagogue. It regulates menstrual flow by contracting muscle fibres in the uterus. It is useful for irregular periods associated with stress and menopause.
- Consume unripe papaya juice regularly for a few months. Avoid drinking it during your periods.
- Carrot juice is a good source of iron and is another simple home remedy for irregular menstrual periods. Raw carrots also help in proper hormone functioning.
- Drink a glass of carrot juice daily for three months. You can even combine it with other vegetable juices.
- Fennel is an emmenagogue, which promotes menstruation and relieves cramping associated with premenstrual syndrome. It helps to rebalance female sex hormones as well.
- Soak some fennel seeds overnight. In the morning strain the solution and drink it. Do this regularly for about a month or until the time your periods become regular.
- Coriander seeds have emmenagogue properties, which help to promote menstruation.
- Boil some coriander seeds till the quantity of water reduces. Strain and drink the solution three times daily for a few days prior to your period and continue for a few months. You can also drink coriander juice daily for a few months.
- This is a good Ayurvedic remedy for irregular periods. It also helps to ease menstrual cramps.
- Consume one teaspoon of dried mint powder blended with one teaspoon of honey. Repeat this three times a day for several weeks to see the results.